Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Glass Castle {book review}

The Glass CastleThe Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved this book so much I couldn't put it down. It had been on my 'to read' for a long time but I finally got around to it and I'm so glad I did. Although it was sad to read about someone having such a hard childhood, I just couldn't stop reading. Even still, there were many moments of love and happiness sprinkled throughout a life with a truly dysfunctional family.

It really got me thinking about what kind of parent I am, how my actions effect my children, that we shouldn't judge someone until we've walked in their shoes, to always remember not everyone had a good upbringing, there are reasons people have struggles such as alcoholism. To be more empathetic and most importantly to forgive your family. For those of you who had a tough childhood...this will blow yours out of the water.

Jeannette Walls later wrote a novel called Half Broke Horses, based on her grandmother who lived here in Phoenix. She claims her life was even more interesting (which seems hard to believe). The one thing that I couldn't help but wonder throughout the entire read of The Glass Castle, was how did the author remember things so vividly at age three? Also, how did she remember so many details of her childhood? Maybe she has an amazing memory, or maybe she filled in blank spots with a little fiction, but either way it's a GREAT read!

It does have some language because of her alcoholic father, but if you can look past that you'll love it.

Now I'm off to read The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, and I'm really loving The Hiding Place but we go pretty slow since my silly boys think summer is for fun and not just reading. :)

*Added later...Well, since I posted this morning, I've decided to quit reding The Girl That Kicked The Hornet's Nest until I first read the two books that go before them. I forgot it's kind of a series. Oh well, now I'm onto Skinny Italian and Amusing Ourselves To Death.

View all my reviews

xoxo,

8 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things to read on blogs is book reviews. Thanks so much! *awesome* post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i may have to read that book...thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Skinny Italian the one by the Jersey housewife(Teresa)? I love my housewives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great blog - you have an adorable family! My mom homeschooled us all the way through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lnved Skinny Italian. Now I want her new book.

    I want to read the books in The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. They seem interesting.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read so many books in the past 4 months and haven't given any reviews...I need to do that! Great review...I'll add this one to my ever growing list. :)

    read some of your other recent posts....proud of you on running your half...or training for it. Have you registered to do one? I did my first one about 4 years ago....loved it! SO REWARDING to train for 12 weeks and then cross that finish line! My running days are over....2 bulging discs! :( I've picked up swimming...which is HARDER than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish i had time to read. or should I say I wish I would make more time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. m to read list is miles long... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete